Thursday, May 17, 2007

It is an ex-vegetarian

Had a really nice evening last night with Katty and Thea. Have to say I was a bit disappointed with the dim sum place we went to though. Thea and I had both seen it reviewed in the metro and they'd liked it plus said it did 'bubble tea' - a milk or soya based drink with tapioca balls... sounds rank but is apparently really good! Not that I got to try it as our ever-so-friendly waitress - not sure if it was a language barrier thing but she came across as quite scary! and also led to us underordering through no fault of our own! - said it had only been last month's special... do'h! Damn misleading Metro! So if anyone knows where I can get some bubble tea in London (should have asked Thea really!) please tell me!

So mini-review of the place:

Well, we got a table quickly but it was one we had to share with three randoms - this was okay at first but led to much confusion when our respective orders started to arrive - in fact I'm sure we had two of their dishes! (more on that in a mo.)

As I said the waitress didn't really seem to understand what we wanted much of the time, and the system of ordering was fun (filling it a little sheet - Katty decided to put down 11 to indicate we wanted 2 of something - thank god I changed that!!).

Food was okay but apart from a couple of things: the tom yom yam (?) veg soup and the char sui pork buns, was far from special. I suppose it is a chain so maybe I was expecting too much. The highlight was probably the jasmine flower tea - brought to us in a glass and then filled with boiling water the flower slowly opens to reveal the pretty pink and yellow centre - it was quite a spectacle and the people sharing our table were transfixed... but then they were scottish! (joking!). By the end of the meal I was begging them not to top it up again though - it ws a Mr King (RIP) stylee thing with a flower that just kept on giving!

It cost about £17 quid each with the drinks and we had ice-cream and sorbet for dessert (1 between 3 of us - we wanted more and asked for more but hey-ho!) We must be heffers or something!! :P

Oh, almost forgot because of food confusion Katty ended up consuming a prawn or two... its not funny!!! well it is a bit. It was put down to being my fault because I tried it and went 'No its fine, its mushroom or something...' Thea tries it after K has had another one and says, 'Definitely prawn!). Oops! I blame the scots! Cos we definitely didn't order that!

Went to the NFT bar for a couple afterwards. All in all a fun night! We got home about midnight - Thea was cycling home so she is probably in a gutter somewhere sleeping it off... ;P

1 comment:

Brinstar said...

Nice going, Helga. ;-)